Exploring the 8th ContinentMadagascar 2022 Photo Album
In August we invited 8 VIP guests on our inaugural exploration of Madagascar. Madagascar is sometimes called the 8th continent, not only due to its massive size but because of how utterly unique its flora and fauna are. Consider this:
- 89% of the 11,000 identified flora species are *endemic, unless exported or cultivated abroad. (*Endemic means that they are native to a place and only found there)
- 92% of its 219 terrestrial mammals are endemic.
- Approximately 95% of Madagascar’s 406 reptile species are endemic.
- 90% of the 238 amphibian species are endemic.
- 117 of the 280 bird species are endemic (giving Madagascar the highest percentage of endemic birds in the world).
- 97% of the freshwater fish species are endemic.
- Possibly up to 99% of the nearly 200,000 arthropod species are found nowhere else on the planet.
We were overwhelmed by the beauty of the landscape, the animals, and the people. I think it’s safe to say we fall fell in love with the lemurs!
Take a peek at these photos taken by Lauren and BJ, and stay tuned for our Madagascar tours in 2023 and beyond. Sign up for our newsletter here so you don’t miss a thing!